This Gimlet cocktail recipe is a take on a classic, with an Australian tweak. It's a beautifully luxurious and zesty cocktail, brightened by the complex citrus portfolio of the Republic of Fremantle Aromatic Gin.
- 60ml Republic of Fremantle Aromatic Gin
- 15ml Citrus cordial
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass, add ice and stir until freezing cold for roughly 45 seconds.
- Strain into a frozen stemmed cocktail glass (coupe).
- Alternatively make a share-friendly group size cocktail, add 7x the ingredients and 350ml of water to a 1L glass bottle and place in freezer 2 hours prior to serving.
HOW TO MAKE CITRUS CORDIAL
Ingredients: 500g of your choice of citrus (grapefruit, lime, lemon or orange), 250g caster sugar and citric acid
- Using a citrus peeler, peel your citrus, keeping the peeled fruit to one side
- Add caster sugar and the citrus peels to a container, then shake for 10 seconds. Leave at room temperature for 4 – 24 hours, the sugar will leech the oils from the peels and begin to appear wet.
- Once the peels have been left for an adequate time, juice the fruit using a citrus press, then pass the juice through a strainer into a container.
- Add peels and sugar into the container, then stir to dissolve the sugar into the juice. If you have trouble dissolving the sugar in the juice, add a small amount of water.
- Once sugar is dissolved, pass through a strainer. Add ¼ of teaspoon at a time of citric acid, mixing well, until desired acidity is reached, continuing to taste after each teaspoon.
If cordial is too thick add a small amount of water to thin it out. You can store your citrus cordial in the fridge.